Shopify just announced Shopify Magic, a new feature that helps merchants generate product descriptions for their Shopify stores.
"Ever wished a product description would just write itself? With Shopify Magic—Shopify’s artificial intelligence tools designed for commerce—it will."
The feature was met with a lot of excitement - writing product descriptions is dull, and any tools that help expedite that process are more than welcome!
But just how powerful is Shopify Magic? To understand that, let's take a look at the features it offers. Shopify Magic is powered by OpenAI's GPT3, a powerful artificial intelligence platform; this allows it to generate product descriptions that are tailored to a shop's specific needs. It also allows users to select a tone for the description, such as expert or sophisticated.
Perhaps most importantly, Shopify Magic is integrated directly into Shopify and is thus very easy to use. However, it does have its limitations; for example, it cannot write multiple descriptions at once or write descriptions for products with many features or technical specs. In those cases, users may want to look for more specialized tools such as Yodel or other Shopify-specific copywriting apps. Such apps can help generate better descriptions, titles, meta descriptions and tags, and are thus invaluable for more established sellers.
Here's how Shopify Magic works:
- Create a new product in your Shopify store
- List the key features of your product
- Select a tone for the resulting description (sophisticated or expert, for example)
- Tap Autowrite to see your new description!
You'll get a short product description custom-tailored for your store. It's pretty awesome. The feature is based on OpenAI's GPT3, a cousin of the famous ChatGPT. Products based on GPT3 have been around for a while, but having them integrated directly into Shopify is a huge plus.
Like other features directly integrated into Shopify, however, Shopify Magic is a little more basic than many of the alternatives. Here are some examples for use cases where you might want a more robust tool:
1. Writing more than 1 description at a time.If you have hundreds - or thousands - of products in your store, generating descriptions for them with Shopify Magic can be a bit of a hassle. You'll have to generate those descriptions one by one, which can take many, many hours.
To solve this issue, there are a bunch of Shopify apps that enable writing batch product descriptions. Our own app, Yodel, can generate up to 10,000 product descriptions in one click!
2. Writing descriptions for products with more complex features.Shopify Magic is great for products with a few key features, but it's not so helpful if you have a product with a lot of features or technical specs, or if you have an existing product in your store you’d like to buff up with a better descriptions.
Dedicated Shopify copywriting apps can take one of your existing products, consolidate all the information available on your store about that product - title, tags, description - and generate a sparkling new description based on that. The result will be more accurate and drive more sales
3. Writing product titles, meta descriptions, tags and moreShopify Magic is currently focused on generating product descriptions only. It doesn't help with other elements, such as titles, meta descriptions, tags and so on.
In that case, the best option would be to use a dedicated Shopify copywriting app. Such apps can automatically generate titles, meta descriptions, tags and product descriptions. In some cases, they could also help you in all kinds of other use cases. For example, Yodel can help you write:
- Review responses
- Support emails
- Social media posts
- Facebook and Google ads
Considering all of the above, if you're a slightly more established seller - or simply a seller looking to make use of the best tools in the market - you might want to look at some alternative AI copywriting tools for Shopify.